What to Expect and Post Treatment Care for Botox and Dermal Fillers
In order to minimize the risk of possible side effects and complications of injections please follow these simple steps:
• We discourage consuming alcoholic beverages at least 24 hours prior to treatment (alcohol may thin the blood and increase the risk of bruising)
• Avoid anti-inflammatory/blood thinning medications, if possible for a period of 2 weeks before treatment. Medications and supplements such as aspirin, vitamin E, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, St. John’s Wort, Omega 3/Fish Oil supplements, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve and other NSAIDS have a blood thinning effect and can increase the risk of bruising and swelling after injections. Please let us know if you are taking heparin or coumadin.
• Schedule your Dermal Filler and Botox appointment at least 2 weeks prior to a special event which you may be attending, such as a wedding or a vacation.
• Reschedule your appointment at least 24 hours in advance if you have a cold sore. If you have a history of cold sores please let us know, we may put you on an antiviral medication such as Valtrex prior to treatment.
• Be sure to have a good breakfast, including food and drink before your procedure. This will decrease the chances of lightheadedness during your treatment.
• You are not a candidate if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
Post-Treatment Botox Instructions:
• Do NOT manipulate the treated area for 3 hours following treatment.
• Do NOT lie down for 4 hours after your Botox treatment. This will prevent the Botox from tracking into the orbit of your eye and causing drooping eyelid.
• It can take approximately 4 to 7 days for results to be seen. If the desired result is not seen after 2 weeks of your treatment you may need additional Botox. You are charged for the amount of product used. Therefore, you will be charged for product used during any touch up or subsequent appointments.
• Do NOT perform activities involving straining, heavy lifting, or vigorous exercise for 6 hours after treatment. This will keep the Botox in the injected area and not elsewhere.
PostTreatment Instructions Dermal Filler
• The injection area may be gently washed a few hours after treatment. Avoid aggressive scrubbing or rubbing. Avoid use of devices like Clarisonic Brushes for 2 weeks post treatment.
• Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours.
• Avoid extensive sun or heat for 72 hours.
• Avoid consuming excess amounts of alcohol or salts to avoid excess swelling.
• If you have swelling you may apply a cool compress for 15 minutes each hour. Use Tylenol for discomfort.
• Try to sleep face up and slightly elevated if you experience swelling.
• It is normal to feel a “firmness” in your injection area for the first few days after treatment. Over time, the area will soften, leaving you with a natural looking result. Keep in mind, one side of the face, or specific areas, may heal faster.
• Makeup may be applied shortly after treatment if no complications are present, using gentle application and clean brushes.
• Bruising at the site of injection is common and should fade within a week.
• A temporary amount of minimal to moderate swelling can be expected following treatment. This should dissipate over the next 48 hours following injection.
• It is normal to experience some tenderness at the treatment area for a few days.
PLEASE CONTACT ME IMMEDIATELY if you have any questions, concerns, or if your symptoms worsen.
Shannon J. Foley, RN, BSN
Leisa Brewer, RN, BSN